Food Technology at Virgo Fidelis
Key Stage 3 Food Technology
We aim to teach all students to cook for themselves, by demonstrating and teaching skills for life, which is also preparation for their exam at the end of KS3. They will gain a certificate in home cooking (BTEC home cooking skills Jamie Oliver) which is the equivalent to half a GCSE.
The Edexcel BTEC Level 1 and Level 2 Awards in Home Cooking Skills (QCF) have been developed to give learners the opportunity to develop:
- The knowledge, understanding and confidence to cook meals at home
- An understanding of how to economise when planning a meal
- An ability to transfer skills learned to different recipes
- An ability to inspire others by transferring that knowledge
Key Stage 4 Food Technology
GCSE Design and Technology: Food Technology helps students develop their creativity, with making of food products a vital feature of their experience of taking this specification
What Will I Study?
This two unit specification requires students to develop their application of knowledge and understanding when developing ideas, planning, producing products and evaluating them.
Unit 1 – Written Paper (45451)
- 2 hours 120 marks - 40%
- Candidates answer all questions in two sections
Unit 2 – Design and Making Practice (45452)
- Approximately 45 hours - 90 marks - 60%
- Consists of a single design and make activity from a range of board set tasks
Careers and Future Pathways
- GCSE Design and Technology: Food Technology helps students develop their creativity, with making of food products a vital feature of their experience of taking this specification.
- The course is a good pathway start where student could go on and take level 3 Hospitality courses which helps them in further education or securing a job in the industry.