- Course Title: Dance
- Qualification: GCE AS / A2
- Course Code: AS 1231 / A2 2231
- Exam board: AQA
Entry Requirements: GCSE A* - C in Performing Arts Dance; Grade C in English Language. Students with extensive practical experience in Dance Studies would be considered.
Course Content: AS Level, specification will focus on development and performance of students’ own choreography; performing in a duo/trio. Students will receive training on technique, health and safety of the dancer. Critical skills are developed to analyse choreography and performance within own work and professional repertoire.
Unit 1 will cover:
- The dancer as performer: knowledge and understanding of demands made in practice and performance.
- The process and craft of choreography.
- The significance of dances.
Unit 2: will cover:
- The process of solo choreography from investigation, research of ideas through to outcome
- Physical and interpretative skills related to performance of solo choreography.
- Performance skills within duo / trio.
Assessment Method: AS Modules:
Unit 1 - Understanding Dance – Written Exam,
Unit 2 - Choreography and Performance Centre:
A – Solo B. Duo – Trio.
At A2 The focus is on choreographing group dances. Knowledge and understanding of a specific study area is developed. Analytical study of one set work and its cultural and artistic context is undertaken.
- Investigating one area of study from – ballet, modern dance or jazz dance
- Critical analysis and appreciation of one set work. Externally assessed through written paper.
- Group choreography, investigation and research of ideas through to outcome.
- Solo performance skills in relation to a specific practitioner within an area of dance study as prescribed for Unit 3.
Progression: Continuation into Performing Arts/Dance career via BTEC, Degree or Diplomas. Dance is an excellent subject for personal enhancement and many students enter the teaching profession.