Assessment information: Each skill counts 25%
Paper 1: Listening and understanding in Spanish
Paper 2: Speaking in Spanish
Paper 3: Reading and understanding in Spanish
Paper 4: Writing in Spanish
Themes and topics
Questions across all four language skills are set in common contexts, addressing a range of relevant contemporary and cultural themes. They are organised into five themes, each broken down into topics and sub-topics.
The five themes are:
- Identity and culture
- Local area, holiday, travel
- Future aspirations, study and work
- International and global dimensions.
Subject aims and learning objectives
The aims and objectives of this qualification are to enable students to:
- develop their ability to communicate confidently and coherently with native speakers in speech and writing, conveying what they want to say with increasing accuracy
- express and develop thoughts and ideas spontaneously and fluently
- listen to and understand clearly articulated, standard speech at near normal speed
- develop awareness and understanding of the culture and identity of the countries and communities where the language is spoken
- develop language-learning skills both for immediate use and to prepare them for further language study and use in school, higher education or employment
At Virgo Fidelis we expect many students to take a Modern Foreign Language up to GCSE. The Spanish department expects candidates to demonstrate a good knowledge (level 6 equivalent) in order to undertake this course successfully.