'Give to the children the wish to do well
and you will have gained everything'
Mother St. Mary
Everyone at Virgo Fidelis is committed to making sure that every child at the school is valued and is given the opportunity to do well. Therefore, we work hard to provide appropriate and high quality education for all students.
We believe that everybody is equal irrespective of their ethnicity, social or cultural background, previous experiences and ability. In the Student Services Department we work with parents and students to ensure that every child is supported in their learning and development as a valued individual. We understand that each child is unique and that sometimes they may need extra support, or for their learning programme to be adapted in a certain way so that they can do their best.
When we first meet a student we asses their needs and talk to her and her parents about what would be the best way to support her.
Our aims are to:
- Make each girl feel valuable and able to do well
- Help each girl achieve her best
- Develop self-confidence and a desire to learn
- Support students in developing positive strategies that will help them both in learning and in adult life.
- Make teaching and learning more accessible for each girl based on her specific needs
- Support whole-class learning through focused building of literacy and numeracy skills
- Create opportunities for girls to develop social skills both with their peers and adults
- Support girls in developing self-awareness especially in relation to choice making and their behaviour
- Support young-carers and families under stress
- Respond supportively and constructively to students at times of crises
- Pro-actively support students who are at risk of disaffection and exclusion
- Support students to be in lessons with their peers as much as possible as this is the best place for them to learn and grow as confident individuals.
- Raise achievement of all learners
- Help students who speak another language at home to develop and build their English language skills
- Support students in accessing external support where appropriate
- Support other teachers when working with individual girls who may have specific needs, either at a particular moment, or in a given area, as well as those with ongoing needs in regards to learning and life-skills.
A child can be referred to Student Services by a parent or by a teacher. In some cases, as student may be able to self-refer for support.
If you would like more information about our work, or if you would like to discuss any concerns you have about your daughter please contact us.